Monday, January 7, 2008

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street


I could not help myself and recommend my all time favorite story by Rod Serling. In our Post 9/11 society, Serling's story provides a valuable warning of the tools of conquest. I wish classrooms across the country would rediscover the works of Rod Serling. I will end with a quote from the story that has resonated with my for 25 years now.

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to The Twilight Zone.

No comments: