Monday, December 17, 2007

Jonathon Kozol - Lessons of Inequality





Jonath
on Kozol has challenged legislators for an entire generation to examine the reality of social inequalities. His focus on education highlights what I have seen for twenty years. Schools within the boundaries of wealth have a much better advantage over their inner city counterparts. While we teach students about Brown v. the Board of Education, we never challenge students to see what is the reality of Brown v. the Board of Education. We create an illusion that equality is here today, when in actuality it is far from being real for many citizens of our country



1 comment:

Marisa Nicotera said...

Hi Lenny,

I'm a big fan of Koziol's books, read most in college. My favorite is Savage Inequalities. My mom actually got to hear him speak in NYC last month at a NYSEC conference. Anyways--- I wanted to post on here that I just finished reading last night Stephen Colbert's book. Not sure if you watch the show, but I started watching Jon Stewart and quickly became more of a Colbert fan. He will seem obnoxious until he grows on you, but I have to say the book is a thousand times funnier than the TV show. He shares similar opinions to us as "liberals"/"democrats"/etc. but does so in such a sarcastic way...it's hysterical while also making a case against the way our country is headed with its values, leadership, conservative comeback, etc. I guess after a lot of the heavier reading it's nice to laugh sometimes...so thought I'd share. You can borrow my book if you want,, it's still only in hardcover in stores.